Thursday, June 22, 2017

Two Tips For Dealing With Debt Collectors

Debt collectors are just about as much fun to deal with as tax collectors. No one likes to get calls or letters asking for payments, especially if there is not enough money to make the payments. And, debt collectors have a reputation of being hard to talk to, being rude, and relentless with the number of calls they place. None of this behavior makes it easy to gather your thoughts and come up with a plan to repay debts, but you can get a break from collection activity if you take a few simple steps.

One sure way to get a debt collector to stop harassing you is to file for bankruptcy. But if you want to try other things first, here are two tips for dealing with debt collectors:

         Send a written request for verification of the amount due, and identification of the original creditor. Debt collectors are just that, collectors. That means they are not the original lender you owed, and sometimes it can be hard to tell which creditor the collector is calling or writing about and which debt is being collected. You have a right to know this information, and can ask that collection actions cease until it is provided to you.
         Send a written request that all communications cease and desist. You have the right to be free from harassment, and when you put that request in writing you can enforce it if not honored.
You should also consult with an attorney and allow them to field the calls on your behalf. This happens most times when you are preparing to file bankruptcy, and part of that process is to let your bankruptcy attorney know who you owe so they can include everything in your bankruptcy case. It is perfectly acceptable to have that attorney also take any calls from your creditors while your bankruptcy is being prepared. Our team of bankruptcy and debt management professionals has experience dealing with creditors, and is happy to take on that task for you while you get a breather. We understand how critical it is to have your wits about you when you are trying to pay off debt or file a bankruptcy case, and work with you to make the process as painless as possible.

If you have more questions about debt collection, contact us today at We will help you get prepared for what comes after we file your case, and have multiple locations where we schedule appointments.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Will I Lose My Life Insurance If I File Bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is a way to reduce or wipe out your debts, but if there are certain things you want to keep you do have to keep making payments. Most people opt to keep their cars and house, and so continue to keep up with those monthly payments even if they file for bankruptcy. But what about some of your other needs, such as electricity and insurance? There are a lot of questions about how every day expenses are handled when a bankruptcy gets filed, and it is important to know the answers because no one wants to have the air conditioning turned off or get caught driving without auto insurance. The good news is that if you file for bankruptcy, you get to eliminate some debts, which makes it easier to pay others. For instance, if you no longer had to pay all of your credit card debt, you might be in a better position to pay your utilities and buy groceries every week.

Another expense that people are happy to continue paying when they file bankruptcy is their life insurance premiums. But since this is not a daily need, you might be wondering if you will lose your life insurance if you file for bankruptcy. You will not, and here is why:

         Your debt load will decrease when you file bankruptcy.
         When you owe less, you have more disposable income to work with each month.
         When you have more disposable income to work with each month, you can allocate the funds on hand to the things you need.
         Life insurance is a necessity for most families, and when you have enough money to pay the premiums each month, the provider will not cancel your policy.
Bankruptcy can also be helpful in other ways. For example, you can reduce the amount of debt on your car if you file a Chapter 13, and you can also lower the interest rate on an auto loan by filing a Chapter 13 bankruptcy case. If you file a Chapter 7 case you will be allowed to get rid of all of your unsecured debt, which is the appeal to this type of case for many consumers. High interest rate credit card debt is one of the most difficult types of debt to keep up with, but when you file a Chapter 7 case you no longer have to worry about how to pay off those card balances.

For more information about bankruptcy, contact us at We will help by coming up with solutions that work for you and have multiple locations to meet your needs for office visits.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

How To Afford Investments

It would be nice to have enough money to pay all of your bills, have some extra each month for emergencies, and even put some back for the future. A good way to plan for the future is to start some investments, but this can be hard when you are living paycheck to paycheck. It can also be difficult to know what types of investments to make, because you will want to make sure that not only will the money you put in not be lost, but that over time it grows. The whole point to finding a good investment is to make money, so you have enough to live on as you age or become unable to continue working. Doing this on a tight budget might sound impossible, but there are some things you can do to start an investment portfolio even if you are short on funds.

Here are a few tips on how to afford making investments:

         Pay off smaller accounts and then put those monthly payments towards your 401(k) at work, if one is offered. Any time you can put money into an account that is added to, even in a small portion, by someone else (like your employer); you should take advantage of this plan. This gives you the money you put in, and also the money your employer offers. Turning down participation in a profit sharing plan is the same as giving away free money. If you are lucky enough to work at a place where the employer puts money into an account for you, even if you do not contribute, do not turn down that opportunity!
         Look for a checking account that rounds up to the nearest dollar spent and transfers the change to a savings account. This might not seem like an investment, but over time your savings can grow to a substantial sum, and those funds can be used to make other investments or may even be accruing interest and growing within the savings account itself.
         Try to keep a balance in your checking account if your bank offers interest payments on that balance. A good option here is to bank at a credit union, which typically offers more benefits than traditional banking.
If you think you just do not have the money left over each month to do these things because your bills are too high, talk to us. We can give you ideas on how to reduce or eliminate some of your debts, either through bankruptcy or debt consolidation. We can also help you negotiate more favorable house payment terms, or get lower interest rates on your credit cards.

If you have more questions about money, contact us at We will help by coming up with solutions that work for you and have multiple locations to meet your needs for office visits.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Can I Vacate My Home To Avoid Foreclosure?

If you are behind on house payments you may be at risk for foreclosure. A foreclosure is when your lender tries to take back your home, and the affects can be devastating. You face loss of your house and may still even owe the lender once you have been forced to vacate! A foreclosure is a serious legal action against you, and should be met with a serious defense. The first thing you should do if you have received notice of a foreclosure is consult with a skilled attorney, to make sure the party seeking foreclosure even has the right to try and take your home. All too often the party initiating a foreclosure action does not have the legal right to start and maintain a foreclosure action, and it is worth checking into to see if that is the case in your situation.

But, if you have decided to allow your house to go back to the bank and not fight the foreclosure, you may be wondering if you can just turn over the keys and vacate the premises to avoid the action? The answer is no, and here is why:

         The lender has to complete the action to get title to the property.
         Vacating the property makes the case go faster, but does not give the lender the same legal remedy as a finished foreclosure case.
         Most lenders will want to proceed with the action, so a judgment can be obtained that allows the lender to come after you for any amount still owed on the loan after the house sells at foreclosure sale.
So, your best bet to avoid a foreclosure is to find another option aside from moving. Fortunately, other options do exist. For example, you can stop a foreclosure and possibly even save your home by filing for bankruptcy. Filing a bankruptcy case automatically puts a stop to any pending legal action for collection or foreclosure that has been filed against you. So the benefit to filing bankruptcy when you are not able to make your house payments is that you stop a foreclosure, but also stop potential wage garnishments and car repossessions. For more information, let a qualified debt management and bankruptcy attorney explain your options to you.

If you have more questions about bankruptcy and foreclosure, contact us at We will help by coming up with solutions that work for you and have multiple locations to meet your needs for office visits.

Friday, June 16, 2017

Can I Buy My Home Back After Foreclosure?

A foreclosure is an action by the lender to take back your home when the mortgage payments fall behind. Some states conduct foreclosures by filing a lawsuit with the Courts, but in Rhode Island the more common practice is to send noticed to the borrower without resorting to filing a case. This type of foreclosure is called a non-judicial foreclosure and it moves pretty quickly. So if you have received a notice of foreclosure, it is important to understand what happens next and what you can do to try and save your home.

One option that is always available, and will put a stop to any type of foreclosure action, is to file bankruptcy. But if your case has already progressed to a foreclosure sale, you might have other concerns. One of those concerns could be whether you are allowed to buy your home back from the lender after the foreclosure is completed. Here is how it works:

         Notice of the foreclosure must be mailed to the homeowner by the mortgage company, or other foreclosing party and information on foreclosure mediation must be included in this notice.
         Notice of the foreclosure sale has to be published in the paper, with the homeowner being provided notice at least 30 days prior to the date of first publication.
         You are not allowed to reinstate your mortgage before the sale, unless there are provisions for doing so in your mortgage. A reinstatement is not a buy back of the property, but is a payment of the past due amount so that the loan is no longer in default.
         You are not permitted to redeem the property after the sale, which is not necessarily a buying back of your home but has nearly the same effect.
So if you are being foreclosed on and think you can buy back your home, you should talk it over with a qualified professional. Depending on the terms of your mortgage, your rights may be limited. Let us help you stay in your home, and get your other debts in line at the same time. This can be accomplished by bankruptcy, a refinance, a detailed negotiation with your creditors, a refinance, or some other remedy.

For help getting out of financial distress, contact us at We will help by coming up with solutions that work for you and have multiple locations to meet your needs for office visits.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Three Ways To Stop A Foreclosure

Being involved in any type of lawsuit can be confusing, but when the action is one to take your home, you need to act fast. If your house payments are not being made, your mortgage company will start a foreclosure, with the ultimate aim of taking back your house. This will leave you without a place to live, and can cause serious upheaval to your family. If you are facing a foreclosure, let us go over your options with you so you can save your home or end the process quickly.

Three ways to stop a foreclosure are:

         Asking your mortgage company to modify the terms of your mortgage. When successful, a mortgage modification will result in a lower house payment, letting you stay in your house and pay off the debt at a lower rate of interest. This option has to be approved by your current home loan lender, and does require you to fill out an application and follow up for approval. Sometimes the banks can drag their feet making a decision on whether to offer a modification, but we can help speed up the process and handle the transaction for you.
         Refinance your mortgage with a new lender, which pays off your existing mortgage and lets you start fresh with a new mortgage company.
         Offer to give the lender a deed in lieu of the foreclosure, or see if the mortgage company will accept a short sale. These options will not keep you in your house, but they will get you out of the foreclosure so you can make other living arrangements and begin to move forward at a new place.
Filing for bankruptcy is also an option, and not only will doing so allow you to keep your home but it will also take care of your other debts. A bankruptcy case will lower your balances, or wipe them out completely so you no longer have to make payments on all of your loans. Freeing up money in this way allows you to keep more of your paycheck, and this will make it easier for you to make your house payments. There are two different types of consumer bankruptcies, and we can tell you which one you qualify to file.

For more information about how to stop a foreclosure, call us today or reach us online at

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Is It Too Late To File Bankruptcy If I Am Being Sued?

When debts spiral out of control and not even the minimum payments are being made, it does not take long for your lenders to start collection efforts. This might begin and end with phone calls and letters, but can also include legal action. If you are sued for a past due debt you have several options. First and foremost you will need to file an answer to the lawsuit, because if you do not the lender will obtain a judgment against you. Once a judgment has been entered, the lender is free to pursue whatever collection remedies are legally available, up to and including garnishment of wages or bank accounts. This result might be the case even if you did file an answer, because the Court may have found that your answer did not raise a valid defense and the creditor was entitled to judgment. In either instance you are probably wondering what can be done to put an end to the collection efforts, so your hard earned wages are not taken from you.

At this stage of the game you should consider filing for bankruptcy. It is not too late! In fact, filing for bankruptcy is a good idea at this very juncture in the matter because:

         You get the benefit of the automatic stay the instant you file, which will put an immediate end to garnishments.
         The automatic stay will also prohibit a creditor from starting a new lawsuit against you.
         If a lawsuit is pending, meaning judgment has not yet been entered, filing for bankruptcy will prevent a creditor from asking the Court to enter judgment.
If you are being sued for debts you are not able to pay, let us help. We will let you know your bankruptcy options, and help you to understand how filing a bankruptcy case can eliminate or reduce your debts. Once a bankruptcy case is filed, you will have the time needed to take a breath and get back on track. Bankruptcy is designed to give you a fresh start, which is just what you need if you have been sued and are unable to pay the judgment amount.
If you have more questions about money management, bankruptcy and debt, contact our office. We can be reached by phone, or online at